Useful information
Prime News delivers timely, accurate news and insights on global events, politics, business, and technology
Useful information
Prime News delivers timely, accurate news and insights on global events, politics, business, and technology
The UN Human Rights Office has condemned an objective Israeli attack that killed six journalists in Gaza, calling him a “serious violation” of the international humanitarian law.
Five jazeera journalists, including the prominent correspondent Anas Al-Sharif, were killed in an Israeli air attack on Sunday night, along with a sixth independent journalist.
The Israeli army said he had addressed Sharif, claiming that he had “served as head of a terrorist cell in Hamas.”
The media and countries rights, including Qatar, have condemned the attack. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer spokesman said the United Kingdom government is “seriously worried” and requested independent investigation.
Speaking to journalists, Starmer’s official spokesman said Israel must ensure that journalists can work safely and inform without fear.
Sharif’s funerals, Al Jazeera’s correspondent, Mohammed Qreiqeh, and cameraman Ibrahim Zaher, Mohammed Noufal and Moamen Aliwa took place on Monday after the goal strike target in his store in the city of Gaza.
Mohammad al-Khaldi was appointed by doctors at the Al-Shifa hospital as the sixth journalist who was killed during the strike, the Reuters news agency reported. Another person was also killed in the attack, he said.
Reporters without borders, a media freedom group, strongly condemned what he called the murder of Sharif.
The committee of protecting journalists (CPJ) said he was horrified by the attack and Israel had not provided evidence to support his accusations against him.
“Israel has a long -standing pattern and documented to accuse journalists of being terrorists without providing any credible proof,” added the organization.
The Israeli army has suggested that it has documents found in Gaza who confirmed that Sharif belonged to Hamas.
He said that these include “personnel lists, lists of terrorist training courses, telephone directories and salary documents.”
The only materials that have been launched for publication are screenshots of spreadsheets apparently listing the Hamas agents of the Northern Gaza Strip, pointing out injuries to Hamas agents and a section of what is said to be a telephone directory for the Eastern Jabalia Battalion of the Armed Group.
BBC cannot independently verify these documents.
The BBC understands that Sharif worked for a Hamas media team in Gaza before the current conflict.
Israel says he was “the head of a Hamas terrorist cell”, but that he has produced little evidence to support that.
In some of his publications on social networks before his death, the journalist can criticize Hamas.
So far there has been no Israeli explanation for the murder of the entire Al Jazeera news team.
The CPJ says that at least 186 journalists have been killed since the beginning of the Israel military offensive in Gaza in October 2023, the most fatal period for journalists since these data began to register in 1992.
“Israel must respect and protect all civilians, including journalists,” said the UN Human Rights Office in an X. “We ask for immediate, safe and obstacle access to Gaza for all journalists.”
Last month, BBC and three other news agencies, Reuters, AP and AFP, they issued a joint statement that expresses “Desperate concern” for journalists in the strip, who say they are increasingly unable to feed themselves and their families.
The Israeli government does not allow international news organizations, including BBC, become Gaza to freely inform, so many media trust in Gaza headquarters for coverage.
Meanwhile, in Gaza, five more people have died from malnutrition in the last 24 hours, including a child, according to the Hamas Ministry of Health.
This carries the total number of deaths from malnutrition to 222, including 101 children, the Ministry of Health said.
The UN Humanitarian Agency said Friday that the amount of help that enters Gaza remains “well below the minimum required to meet the immense needs of people.” Last month, global food security experts backed by the UN warned that the “worst case of famine is currently being developed.”
Israel has continued to deny that there is a hunger in Gaza and has accused the UN agencies of not collecting help at the borders and delivering it.
The UN Humanitarian Agency has said that it continues to see impediments and delays, since it tries to collect the help of the border areas controlled by Israelis.
Israel launched its offensive in response to the attack led by Hamas against southern Israel on October 7, 2023, in which some 1,200 people were killed and another 251 were taken as hostages.
Since then, 61,430 people have been killed in Gaza as a result of the Israel military campaign, according to the Ministry of Health.